News Article

UCU Boycott – Student Officers Statement

As you may know, the University and College Union (UCU) announced a nationwide Marking and Assessment Boycott (MAB) on Thursday, 20 April 2023. While there is no set end date until progress is made in UCU’s dispute negotiations and UCU affiliated staff are now being threatened with pay deductions from King’s College London management, exams and coursework will continue in the exam period from 2 May - 2 June and deadlines will still apply. 

We understand that strikes can be worrying - we know and recognise how being a student has become more and more expensive (Cost of living crisis, international tuition fees, student housing etc.), hence we want to reassure you that we are here to support you. As KCLSU student officers, we aim to focus efforts on tangible action and support students and student activism through study sessions. However, if you feel that your studies, your enjoyment of studies or your wellbeing are being affected, you can seek support from the KCLSU Advice Team through this online form.

You can get additional mental health and wellbeing support through the following resources: 

  • Chaplaincy – Emotional support and practiced listeners 

  • Togetherall – 24-hour confidential online support and wellbeing service 

  • You can register for counselling appointments here

  • You can also speak to your registered GP. 

  • You can join our Take Time Out initiatives to boost your wellbeing. 

  • You can access these venues to relax/study during this time. 

If you would like to start a campaign about any issue connected with the strikes, you can do this through the online KCLSU campaign process. You will be supported throughout from developing your campaign idea, to getting it launched once it receives support from King’s students. Visit our campaign page to find out more. 

We also strongly encourage any student who wishes to complain and claim compensation for loss of learning to do so by submitting your complaint to King’s Student Conduct & Appeals team 

  • King’s has advised that students submit complaints after industrial action has taken place and within 3 months of the strike days to ensure that your complaint will be processed – for Term 2 UCU Strike Actions you can complete this webform by 23rd June. 

  • You don't need to fill out a mitigating circumstances form because departments will put measures in place to minimise strikes' impact on your learning. However, if you feel that this is not sufficient and that your performance in a particular assessment is still being affected, the university recommends that you contact your department in the first instance, and they will support you in submitting an MC form, if applicable. 

  • Students may also wish to claim for travel costs incurred when teaching was cancelled but your department did not notify you in time. To do so, you must provide evidence/receipt for those travel costs with the form when you submit it. 

  • If you want to appeal against decisions made by your Faculty Assessment Board (FAB) on matters such as module results, progression, and reassessment decisions, you can find out more here.  

You are encouraged to visit Student Services Online for additional resources and this guide about your rights in these circumstances.  

As your Student Officers, we are in contact with the University to understand more about their mitigations and to make King’s College London management aware of the stressful situation students are experiencing – We’re here to help students in a way that is non-judgemental, straightforward, and empowering. 

If you have any further concerns or questions, you can email the student officers at [email protected]

The Officers Team


Cookies allow us to provide the best experience using our kclsu website.

Read about how kclsu handles data , and more steps you can take to protect your data.

Select the optional cookies, and scroll down to give consent.