New Group Applications for the 2024-25 Academic Year
KCLSU boasts of a community of over 500 student groups, from common interest, to sports clubs, to creative arts, to anything you can desire. However we also acknowledge that further communities can exist. If this sounds like you, and you have an original idea for a new group, then you can apply to start your own! Please note, this is for the 2024/25 academic year.
Application process to become a ratified KCLSU Student Group
1. Filling in the application
- New Group Applications Open - Monday 15 January 2024
- New Group Applications Close - Monday 5 February 2024
The first step in order to create your new group is to fill in your application form. In order to do this, you will need:
- The details of your president and treasurer to be. If you are unsure of what these roles mean you can read below:
- A president has the overall responsibility of a group. They are in charge of creating the vision for the group as well as delegating tasks to the rest of the committee to ensure a smooth running of the group. They are expected to lead any meetings, and alongside the treasurer, make financial decisions.
- A treasurer is in charge of the finances of the group. This is ensuring the group's economic state is sustainable by ensuring there are sufficient income streams (such as membership price, sales, sponsorships, etc.) as well as making financial decisions for the group.
- A name for your group as well as the main aim and activities you will run in the potential year
In order for your application to be considered you must abide by the following criteria:
- Your group must fulfil the role and purpose of a KCLSU Student Group; building a community and sense of belonging, delivering activities that enrich the community and that have educational purposes for personal development for the community leaders and their members.
- The purpose of the group should be unique and not have significant overlap with any existing student groups.
- Meet a threshold of interest (50 upvotes)
- Practical for KCLSU to support within existing KCLSU resources
- Demonstrate its potential to be sustainable and self-sufficient in the long-term
If you need the application form in a different format, or require any support, please email us on [email protected] before the 29th January so we are able to provide you extra support.
2. Community support
- Online Voting for New Student Groups Open - Wednesday 7th February 2024
- Online Voting for New Student Group Closes - Wednesday 14th February 2024
In order for your group to be successful at this first stage, you must demonstrate that the potential group will receive interest from the KCL community.
Once the application period has finished, all applications will be compiled and the potential groups uploaded onto the KCLSU website. Here, current KCL students will be able to upvote your group idea. You'll need a minimum of 50 current KCL students to sign into the KCLSU website & support your new group idea in order to be successful at this stage!
3. Funding and Ratification Committee Panel
- FAR committee panel - TBC w/c 26th February 2024
If your group is successful in the first stage, your group's application will be presented to the Funding and Ratification Committee (FAR). In this panel meeting, the committee members will take a decision on whether your group should be ratified or not.
If at this stage your application is successful, your group will be ratified in the 2024-25 academic year.
If your group is unsuccessful at this stage, you may submit an appeal for the decision.
- Appeals Deadline - TBC
If you choose to appeal the FAR committee's decision, you will need to submit an appeals form (to be uploaded at the time). Your appeal application will be reviewed by the Vice President Activities & Development to make a final decision on the outcome of your group.
If your appeal is approved, your group will be ratified in the 2024-25 academic year. If at this stage your appeal is rejected, your group will unfortunately not be successful in being ratified.