SUMMER PROGRAMME STUDENTS (Session 1) - Camden Market Tour
Please note: This event is for students enrolled on the Undergraduate Summer School only.
PURCHASING TICKETS: When you want to purchase, please login using a guest login (no need to have a student login - this is for full time students only). And, if you are purchasing tickets for multiple events, and the total is more than £150, the transaction won't go through. You just need to split the transaction into two smaller purchases.
Camden Town is a place of canals, cafes, cobblestones, catacombs, craftsmen's studios, street cred, NW1 literati, Industrial Age iron and brick, leafy terraces and crescents, antiques, artists, actors, and art deco.
Unlocking London is proud to present this walk in partnership with London Walks – London’s oldest and best walking tour company. Our guide Judith is a local artist and Camden expert. She’ll show us Camden Lock, London's busiest and brightest market – and its fourth largest tourist attraction.
The Lock is the centrepiece of the walk, but Judith, a local artist, also explores the sights behind the sights, everything from street style and Neobeatniks to Dickens, Dingwalls, and the Vanishing Viscount by the canal; and from George Bernard Shaw and Toss the Pieman to Dylan Thomas, Bob Dylan and the Electric Ballroom.
The Walk will start directly outside the Camden Town tube station (there is only one exit). Your guide, Judith, will be holding a London Walks pamphlet. See this helpful journey planner link for full instructions (from The Strand).
Please give her your name and she’ll tick you off our guest list.
- Walk goes ahead rain or shine. In case of rain please dress appropriately, and bring an umbrella!
- Please bring your email confirmation (print or mobile) as proof of purchase.
- You may want to bring cash/card with you as there is street food and lots of cafes/bars in this area to enjoy once you have finished your tour.
- There are no refunds for this event once tickets have been purchased. Please don’t be late as the tour starts promptly at 1.45pm.
- This is a two hour ‘easy’ grade walk. Wheelchair-bound students are of course welcome, but terrain will be varied. Your public transport route may need to vary to take in tube stations with lifts. Please let Programme Co-ordinator, Shannon, know TWO SCHOOL DAYS in advance if you have mobility concerns - Shannon.email@example.com.
Check out the market stalls at your leisure. What can you buy at Camden market? Basically, if you can think of it – it’s somewhere in Camden Market! Bring cash/card and enjoy some shopping. There are also two large street food areas within the market with affordable food (Camden Lock and The Stables) and some great open air bars/beer gardens.
Shannon's Top Tips...
- The Hawley Arms – Local British style pub, with a wicked soundtrack and a rock ‘n’ roll history. Amy Winehouse was a regular and is remembered fondly by the staff.
- Camden Lock – The part of the market that sits atop the Regent’s Canal. Take your street food and soak in the atmosphere in the sunshine.
- The Cuban – Cuban food, music and cocktails.
- Proud Camden – Nightclub based in the Stables Markets. Student friendly, multiple dancefloors and fantastic DJ’s.
- Take a traditional narrowboat to the Zoo or Little Venice! They depart from Camden Lock.
In short, you’d be crazy to miss Camden!