Street or Tube Collections

Street or Tube Collections

Bucket collections on King’s/KCLSU property are relatively simple to arrange – just follow the general fundraising guidance before filling in a form.

However, applications for bucket collections on streets or in parks are more complicated, and can require up to two months’ notice, so please allow yourself plenty of time when planning an event. It is recommended that you get in touch with the Volunteering and Fundraising Coordinator ( if you are unclear about any procedures in advance of submitting an application.

Street Collections

Before you submit a KCLSU fundraising form, you will need to apply for a public property collection permit via:

The City of London Police – for collections taking place in the borough of the City of London (The City of London Police do not accept applications via their online form – you must download the pdf under the ‘Apply for a License’ heading)

The Metropolitan Police – for collections taking place in any other London borough

Please make sure you read all the guidance on these pages. If there is a conflict between the instructions on these pages and the guidance below, defer to the guidance below.

Applications must be received on or before the 1st of the month prior to the date of collection. For example if you are collecting on the 20th September, you would need to submit an application on or before the 1st of August.

You can only collect for an individual charity in each London borough once per calendar year. However, societies may collect more than once per calendar year in each borough as long as it is for a different charity.

When submitting your permit application, you will need the following documents:

  • An authorisation letter from the charity you are fundraising for, detailing their permission for you to fundraise on their behalf
  • A letter from the KCLSU president or the VFC approving your society’s fundraising activities (email to request this. You will need to supply your charity authorisation letter and the date/times of your fundraising event)
  • A document covering the aims of your charity
  • A letter from KCLSU’s insurance company ensuring that your society’s fundraising activities are covered by KCLSU’s insurance policy (email to request this)

In addition, a copy of each of these will need to be sent to the Volunteering and Fundraising Coordinator alongside your fundraising application form. You do not need a letter from the mayor of the borough in which you are collecting.

The Chief Promoter is the society committee member completing the application.

Once you have been issued a permit, you will need to read the general fundraising guidance and submit a KCLSU fundraising form alongside a copy of your permit and the documentation outlined above. For street collections the KCLSU form needs to be submitted at least one month in advance.

On the day of your fundraising event, it is imperative that every student collecting adheres to permit issuers collection rules:

You will also be sent an email outlining KCLSU’s street collection guidelines, which you must read and follow. After your collection it is vital that you report your funds raised as per the instructions in these guidelines. Failure to do so may result in all students from KCL being banned from street collections indefinitely.

Tube Station Collections

Clubs or societies are not able to directly apply for TfL collections. If you would like to organise a TfL collection you will need to contact the charity you are raising money for and request that their fundraising department book it on your behalf. You can find more information on the TfL website. Once your fundraiser has been booked with TfL by the charity, you will still need to submit a fundraising application, and provide KCLSU with at least one month's notice, including a copy of the authorisation letter TfL has provided the charity.