The King's Doctoral Students' Association (KDSA) is the recognised representative body of the Postgraduate Research Student community. It is an autonomous body within the KCLSU representative structure and drives for the changes that doctoral students want to see. As a King’s doctoral student, you’re automatically part of KDSA.
Aim & Mission
KDSA is independent of King’s and works with the university to drive the changes doctoral students want.
- Uphold, extend and defend the rights of doctoral/ postgraduate research students at King’s.
- Establish a Peer Support Network for both academic and non-academic issues.
- Promote student-led activity amongst new and existing PGR communities to build professional skills, share research ideas & network.
KDSA Board for 2021-22:
President/Chair – Dionysios Malas
Vice President/Chair – Mauro Bonavita
Secretary and Treasurer – Davide Ferrari
Representative for Faculty of Social Science & Public Policy - Mireille Kouyo
Representative for Faculty of Arts & Humanities – James Rowland
Representative for Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience - Juliette Giacobbe
Representative for Florence Nightingale Faculty of Nursing, Midwifery & Palliative Care – Natalie Sanford
Representative for Faculty of Natural & Mathematical Sciences- Sinuhé Perea
Representative for Faculty of Life Sciences & Medicine - Mikel De Iturrate Reyzabal
Social Media Coordinator - Sangeeta Bhagawati
Event Coordinator and Wellbeing Lead - Roger Carles Fontana
Diversity and Inclusion Lead I – Chiara Mignani
Representative for PGR Part-time community- Katie White
GTA Representative: Julie Moonga
Vacant Committee Positions for 2021-22 Board:
- Representative for King’s Business School
- Representative for The Dickson Poon School of Law
- Representative for Francis Crick Institute
- Representative for Dentistry, Oral and Craniofacial Sciences
- Diversity and Inclusion Lead II
Roughly, the duties entail:
- Attending monthly KDSA meetings to discuss and approve motions proposed by yourselves/members
- Coordinate with Departmental Reps as the need arises
- Lead projects or events which would strength our research community
- Meet Faculty Vice Deans/staff from Centre for Doctoral Studies
- Attend quarterly PaRC or an equivalent meeting at Faculty level
- Feedback to KDSA Chair/board members on the progress of your work/project on a monthly basis
If you're interested get in touch with [email protected]
The KDSA lead collective campaigning to bring change and improve the experience for their student community and beyond.
Some of the campaigns we have worked upon include:
- Thesis Writing Space at King's
- Lockers for PGR Students
- Women in Science: Debate on how to fight gender inequality where female academics talk about their careers, focusing on the challenges facing women in research and how they have overcome them.
- Black in Academia: To raise awareness around people of colour and create a strong community of young black researchers at King's
- PhD chat about Mental Health and Wellbeing over tea and biscuits
- Raise awarness about the environment.
- Make KCL more environment friendly for students.