Sections:Setting the scene | KCLSU Trustee Board | KCLSU Committees | Useful Links
Setting the scene
Governance is how organisations guide the decisions they make, and enables control over the organisation. Our governance means that KCLSU is an organisation that we, the students of KCL, can lead, and is an organisation that is financially stable, sustainable for the future and legally run. At KCLSU we're committed to the highest standards of governance. Strong governance is what makes our values of student-led, people-orientated, innovative, straightforward and sustainable come to life.
We've led the way when it comes to Students' Union governance. We've conducted governance reviews, implemented best practice and worked to identify and comply with Codes of Good Governance including the Students' Union Governance Code.
To keep ahead we:
- Run a Governance and Policy Committee, whose remit includes promoting good governance, continually reviewing our governance arrangements and identifying opportunities for improvement.
- Ensure compliance with the NUS Good Governance Code of Practice.
- Carry out an annual review of our Trustee Board's effectiveness and put together a development plan in response.
- Ensure all KCLSU Trustees are given the training and support they need to do their role.
- Make the most of the knowledge and expertise of our experienced Trustees as they formally mentor our new or less experienced Trustees.
For the full details on the policies, procedures, and guidance that support our governance in practice have a read of our KCLSU Governance Policies, Procedures and Guidance document. In it, you'll also find Terms of Reference for the KCLSU Trustee Board and its Committees, role descriptions and the Trustee Board's Delegation of Authority.
We recommend reading the policies, procedures and guidance document alongside our Articles of Association and Bye-laws.
If you've got any questions about our governance, get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
KCLSU Trustee Board
KCLSU is a charity, and the law requires all charities to have trustees so that they can make sure KCLSU works within our agreed charitable purposes. KCLSU is registered with the Charity Committee and our Trustee Board has overall responsibility for the legal, strategic and financial health of our organisation. All decisions made throughout KCLSU have to be approved by the Trustee Board for these reasons.
Our Trustee Board is:
- 6 Student Officers, who lead KCLSU and are elected by KCL students.
- 4 Student Trustees, elected by KCL students
- 4 Lay Trustees, who are external to KCL and are recruited for their expertise in areas such as finance, law and HR
KCLSU Trustees work under a Code of Conduct, standards, and terms of reference - find out more in the KCLSU Governance Policies, Procedures and Guidance.
KCLSU Trustees are accountable for the decisions they make. All KCLSU members can question the Trustee Board at the Annual General Meeting where there are presentations, reports and discussions about the performance of KCLSU. If you would like to see a summary of the most recent Trustee Board meeting please contact us at email@example.com
Full details on how KCLSU Trustees are appointed and removed, and how they are held accountable by our student membership can be found in our Articles of Association.
You can find the current members of the KCLSU Trustee Board here.
Trustee Board Summary. For summaries from other Trustee Board meetings contact us firstname.lastname@example.org and request