Our Green Impact
We think it is important to consider the impact we make on our environment. It is our legal and ethical responsibility. We work hard to make sure you have a clean and green place to study and relax in.
KCLSU Sustainablity Plan
KCLSU are putting together a sustainability plan for 2021 and is in the final draft stage. We will share this on here when it is completed. Some of the main themes are:
- Student Engagement - Ensure student groups are supported to make effective sustainable change.
- Waste Reduction – Reducing our negative impact on the environment in line with student expectations of their Union and current trends in the sector.
- Procurement and Sourcing - Lower environmental impact by sourcing and purchasing more sustainably (carbon emissions, packaging, purchasing)
- Embedding and Communication - Raise awareness of sustainability amongst staff and student groups.
- Sustainable Projects - To reduce the environmental impact of KCLSU projects in relation to the follow areas: reducing wastage, less printing, shared transport.
- Governance - Review and development of policies and guidelines to support the above objectives.
UN Sustainabiliy Goals:
The Sustainable Development Goals or Global Goals are a collection of 17 interlinked global goals designed to be a "blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all". The SDGs were set up in 2015 by the United Nations General Assembly and are intended to be achieved by the year 2030. As a Union we will look to link our sustainability actions to these areas to form part of this shared movement.
Sustainablity Champions Green Impact Award
This year we have achieved a Gold award (highest award rating) in the Kings Sustainability Champions scheme. This achievement recognises our extensive efforts to become more sustainable. The project aims to reduce the negative environmental impact of KCLSU’s activities. We hope to continue to improve our performance and take care of our surroundings.
Ever year alongside Kings we take part in Sustainability Month, this is a celebration of all thing sustainability with a particular focus on student led events. If you want to get involved this usually takes part in February/March time and you can express interest here.
Interested in taking a more proactive role in the drive for sustainability? Join or take an idea to our Union Development - Sustainability Committee to make a difference on campus. Equally if there are changes you want to see and you would like to contact a KCLSU staff member please email [email protected]