Welcome to King's College London Mountaineering and Climbing (or KCLMC for short)! Join one of the fastest growing and most thrilling sport societies at King's.
Join us for twice-weekly indoor sessions (rope climbing & bouldering), monthly outdoor trips to get away from the hustle and bustle of London, and excellent weekly socials. Make sure you follow us on social media and subscribe to our mailing list to receive information on all of the above and more! We have an active climbing Whatsapp chat where we coordinate all our activities. Here's the link for everything: http://linktr.ee/kclmc
If you are new to climbing:
Don't be intimidated if you are new to climbing and mountaineering - our lovely committee members are happy to show you the ropes (pun intended). We welcome newbies and run a number of introductory training workshops throughout the year, empowering you to become a confident and independent climber.
You do not have to purchase KCLMC membership in order to attend a taster session!
If you are an old hand at climbing:
If you are already a competent climber turn up to any of our sessions or socials to meet the club and find yourself a new belaytionship or spotter. We offer a vibrant climbing community and can help push your skills to new heights!
If you'd like to try your hand at competing, we encourage you to try out for our competitive team and compete nationally against other universities in BUCS and LUBE (London University Bouldering Event - which we run!).
The Weekly Schedule:
As mentioned above, the club runs two official climbing sessions per week.
- We Rope Climb at Westway on Wednesday afternoons/evenings,
- We Boulder at VauxEast on Friday afternoons/evenings.
Our Wednesday sessions are often followed by a chill pub hang, but our more structured socials are on Fridays after bouldering. Variety is the spice of life so we try to switch things up regularly for our Friday socials, sometimes it's Pizza in the Park, a slackline social, a pub crawl, or a film night (just to name a few).
Again, make sure you follow us on social media and subscribe to our mailing list to recieve information on all of the above and more! Here's the link for everything: http://linktr.ee/kclmc
What are the different types of KCLMC membership?
We have 2 different memberships:
- Social Membership - This grants you access to:
- Discounted Entry at all London Climbing Centre (LCC) gyms. This membership pays for itself by going to an LCC gym more than three times since membership purchase.
- Our Post-Freshers WhatsApp Group Chat where we coordinate all our club activities and where you can ask questions to our committee.
- Discounted KCLMC tickets from our busy calendar of mad weekly socials and tasty dinners including Halloween Pub Crawl, Soul Train, Christmas Dinner, The Caterpillar Pub Crawl, our Annual General Meeting, and more!
- Supervision, feedback and guidance on your climbing during official KCLMC climbing sessions. If you are not belay competent yet, we will supervise you and teach you how to become so.
We have developed this membership specifically for the boulderers out there. It is also great for those who are not willing to commit to the club just yet but would like to be within its sphere of influence. If you would like to boulder with the rest of the KCLMC team during official climbing sessions, this is the membership for you. If you have purchased the above membership (Social) you will have to purchase a Student Recreactional/Associate Membership Top-Up if you wish to achieve full membership.
- Climbing/Mountaineering Full Recreational (Standard/Associate) Membership - This grants you access to all of the perks and benefits of the Climbing/Mountaineering Social Membership, plus the following perks:
- Free hire of any our rope and trad climbing, bouldering and camping gear. We have over £30,000 of equipment that gets checked regularly so that you can safely and confidently climb on your own or with us. This includes harnesses, ropes, ice axes, bouldering pads, camping gear, trad equipment, you name it. Not only do you get free access to the expensive kit, you don't even have to deal with storing it.T&Cs apply.
- Access to our exclusive climbing/mountaineering trips all over the world. Join us for introductory day trips to Harrison's Rocks. Come trad climbing in the Peak District, or sport climbing in Portland and Wales.
- Access to massively subsidised training courses and guided expeditions that take place in the summer. Join us in the French Alps for a month to learn how to multipitch sport climb, and get your first taste of alpine mountaineering. We also run trips to Fontainebleau for bouldering and Scotland for winter climbing.
- British Mountaineering Council membership for the year. This grants you access to discounted training courses, discounted medical and emergency rescue insurance, discounted access to huts and refuges, an online newsletter and many other perks. If you already hold a BMC membership let us know, we will help you get that refunded, as ours will come out cheaper!
- Access to weekly free competition training run by our in-house club coach and free entry into the KCLMC team for LUBE, BUCS and many other climbing competitions.
- Discounted tickets to our performance training sessions. We will record your climbing and provide tailored feedback to your climbing needs. We will deliver tailored conditioning and flexibility workshops so that you can maximise your climbing capacity.
This membership provides our biggest offering yet and is a must for those who want to get good at climbing and make the most of what the club has to offer. Once again, to achieve full membership if you have purhased a Social Membership you will need to buy the Student/Associate Membership Top-Up. The price difference between Student and Associate reflect differences in price for the included BMC membership.
Don't miss out, come adventuring with us! If you have any questions, we would love to hear from you- shoot us an email or slide into our DMs. Again, here's the link for everything: http://linktr.ee/kclmc