The Dental Student Council is a student-led body that has been established in order to represent and support students across all aspects pertaining to their training at KCLDI; encompassing academic, clinical, environment and student welfare issues. We work with students and student representatives and liaise with senior management to provide solutions to any issues you may come across during your time at KCL.
Your Dental Committee for the Academic Year 2020/21 are as follows:
The Dental Council have accomplished some fantastic things over the past year! See below for further details.
What have we been up to this year?
As a direct result of students’ feedback and communication of these to the dental faculty, the following changes have been made!
- New assessment spaces containing Assessment calendar, resources and FAQ documents
- Introduction of Essay questions in BDS2 mid-sessionals to prepare students for summative exams
- Continued weekly meetings to address day-to-day issues and termly SSLCs for more persistent concerns
- Worked alongside to faulty to address barriers students face when using the raising concerns policy
- Introduction of new protocol for disposal of lab work to prevent cluttering of locker rooms
And a few smaller improvements in our day to day lives:
- Timings of BDS5 Ortho and Paeds tutorials adjusted to allow students to commute
- Introduction of bookable spaces for students needing to attend tutorials on campus
- Introduction of study skills session for DTH1 and BDS1 students
- Opened up Fl30 Lecture theatre and foyer as an informal space for students during lunch hours
- Sanitation stations outside Fl24 locker rooms
- Cleaning supplies provided in FL24 Cafe
- New microwaves in Fl24 cafe
- Timetable improvements – timetable now includes other modules eg Paeds and Ortho, in addition to ICC on the same excel document.
- Ran introduction talks for each BDS year group, talking through what to expect and tips on getting through the year.
- Collaborated with Dentsoc to run successful webinars
- Exam and assessments talks
- Discussions for upcoming Lunch and Learn webinars in collaboration with Colgate
- PAL introduced first ever lecture series in Oct 2021, followed by Series 2 (Nov-Dec) and Series 3 (Jan-Feb)
- Set up brand new PAL webpage on Edmodo (https://edmo.do/j/y2pkbt), providing resources from webinars & other revision materials made by PAL Mentors
- 20+ new PAL Mentors recruited this year
- Started Well-being Wednesday (Instagram campaign) engaging with students about their well-being and providing snippets of information on mental health, especially during lockdown
- Monthly webinars on various subjects such as diet, fitness, wellbeing and mental health
If you'd like to get involved or share your views, please get in touch with the relevant committee member via their email address above!