KCLSU Film Fest' 19 - Introduction to Screenwriting
Introduction to Screen Writing
The aim of this introductory seminar/ workshop is to provide participants with a solid framework for writing and developing an engaging ‘calling card’ short screenplay.
As part of this framework the seminar / workshop will cover how to:
- generate ideas through devising personal story arcs
- create an ‘unfamiliar’ dramatic world for the short form
- create three-dimensional characters
- create an appropriate structure to support a short narrative
- utilize a vertical writing technique to aid visual storytelling
- utilize setting to heighten conflict / tension
There will also be an opportunity to discuss and analyse examples of award-winning shorts to illustrate the above.
Rick is a Cambridge-based screenwriter, story design consultant, lecturer and mentor.
Since attaining an MA Screenwriting & Research qualification from the London College of Communication in 2001, he has storylined for ‘Family Affairs’ (Talkback Thames/Channel 5), developed projects for Hewland International and Frenzy Films, written a slate of short films and spec features, mentored on First Light, Media Box and BFI projects, and written and developed feature screenplays for EON Productions.
Rick is currently program director of the Postgraduate Degree at Raindance, and he is writing and developing, Inheritance, a Folk Horror feature narrative.