STUDY ABROAD Old Westminster walking tour
Please Note: This event is for incoming Study Abroad students who are studying at King’s for semester 2, arriving in January 2018.
The first of our walking tours, guided by the team at London Walks. What can you expect on the 'Old Westminster' walk....? According to London Walks....
This is the seminal London Walk - and it covers 1,000 years of history. Miss it and you've missed London. For Old Westminster is London at its grandest: the place where kings and queens are crowned, where they lived, and often were buried. It's the forge of the national destiny, the place where the heart of the Empire beat, the Mecca of politicians throughout the ages. The past here is cast in stone and we take it all in: ancient Westminster Hall, the Houses of Parliament, the Jewel Tower, and Westminster Abbey. And to see it with a great guide is to have that past suddenly rise to the surface...like seeing a photographic print come up in a darkroom.
We'll also explore the private face of Westminster - the London equivalent of Georgetown! Unlike the tourist hordes, we'll get to see the hidden and ever so picturesque Georgian back streets where all the political salons are! An old World War II bomb shelter sign that we see in one of those "picturesque Georgian backstreets" on this walk. The front of the house where the Anti-Appeasement movement got started! Welcome to 1940 ladies and gentlemen.
This isn't "textbook" history. It's in-your-face history.
Tickets will be on sale until Thursday 11 January, 5.00pm, at which point we have to send the guest list to the tour guide.
- Please meet your Peer Advisors at Westminster tube station, outside exit 4. They’ll be in blue t-shirts, and with our guide - who will be holding a London Walks brochure. The tour sets off promptly at 3.00pm, and lasts 2 hours.
- Bring your student ID, and email confirmation as proof of purchase. We will have supplied them a guest list, and they'll be holding up a London Walks pamphlet.
- If you are unsure about the suitability of this event please feel free to contact us for more detailed information firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our guides name will be confirmed TBC closer to the event, please keep an eye on Twitter @KCLSU_Events
- Comfy footwear, appropriate clothing and some water is highly recommended. This tour will go ahead rain or shine, so if it’s wet, please bring a brolley!