My name’s Samira and I’m running to be your First Generation Officer.
I’m currently a 2nd year law student and during my time at King’s so far, I’ve learnt that navigating a university as big and prestige as ours is quite the task for anyone, but a whole different beast for first generation students like you and I.
The abundance of opportunities King’s has on offer really means little if students like us are not aware of them to make use of, which too often is the case. This is one of the key issues I hope to tackle as your First Generation Officer, with some more plans I’ve listed for you:
- Initiate mandatory careers advisor meetings, ensuring first generation students are fully informed of the support and opportunities available to them
- Increase the number of first generation students entitled to the King’s Affordable Accomodation Scheme (KAAS) - currently only 75 home/EU and 45 international students are eligible beyond first year
- Create genuine connections between first generation students and alumni, allowing students to plan for a smooth transition for life after king’s
- Increased printing credit
- Mentorship scheme connecting first generation king’s students to local sixth formers, for those who want to help kids who are in the position we were in not long ago
- Socials to bring together first generation students who naturally have quite a bit in common, creating a community of understanding and familiarity
I really hope we share the hope for these changes and if so, vote for me :)